Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Nothing Beats the Excitement of a New Rug Hooking Poject!

I worked on a new design over the weekend. When I started working on it, I only knew that I wanted a curvy branch, and hearts to be part of the design. I very quickly settled on two hearts. They reminded me of one of my favorite flowers,  bleeding hearts.





The branch kind of naturally started sprouting flowers, here and there. What I find amazing, is how creative ideas come to us. As I was sitting there doodling, from the base of the main branch, a new branch grew, curled like the scroll-like structures in the hearts. Almost naturally, as if they had always been meant to sit there, two hens decided to nest in the sheltered scrolls.




I imagine the piece will be rather large, maybe two feet by three feet, using mostly 1/4" hand-dyed wool strips with textured wool strips here and there. The colors I have in mind are deep, slightly muted jewel tones. I will be transferring it to primitive linen today, and I hope to start dyeing fabrics for it too.

I can hardly wait to start hooking this rug. Nothing beats the excitement of a new rug hooking project!



6 comments:

  1. I love Lily of the Valley too - the smell when they bloom is heavenly! Your new rug is going to be fantastic and I look forward to seeing it as it progresses! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, Your new rug design looks great...can't wait to see it in wool! Hope you share pictures along the way.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Linda. I will definitely share pictures along the way. Taking pictures is a big part of the fun for me.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Gayle. I look forward to working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing your drawings. This will be a fun project to hook. I love the bleeding hearts. My current favorite flower is the lotus; it has lots of personal meaning to me and can be so versatile when used in a design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!I find creating for rug hooking really fun! I used to design knitting patterns, but find rug hooking liberating.

      Delete